Monday 15 September 2014

Zero Calorie Iced Drink

Hey guys! I have been carb cycling for over a month now and have four low carb days a week. On those days especially, I've been really enjoying making low/zero calorie iced drinks. I often blend my coffee, protein shakes and have recently tried making a fruity 'slushy' so I thought I'd share that with you..

Firstly, brew a cup of flavoured tea (my favourite flavours are the Twinings Blueberry and Apple, Strawberry and Mango, and Orange). I usually leave mine in the fridge for a few hours, or overnight, to get as much flavour as possible. Also, by leaving it to cool for a few hours, you're not pouring warm water onto the ice cubes (I didn't think about that the first time I made this and ended up with a lukewarm slush).



Once your tea has brewed and cooled down, grab your other ingredients. You'll always need ice but otherwise you can be pretty flexible with your other ingredients based on how you want it to taste. For this slushy I'm using the Walden Farm's Blueberry Syrup for extra flavour. You could add stevia, flavoured syrups, flavoured extracts, fresh or frozen berries or protein powder (be creative with it!).




Xantham Gum is a thickening agent which I use to make my 'slushy' have a slightly thicker consistency. I usually add and blend this right at the end (1/4 teaspoon). This ingredient isn't vital but it does change the consistency slightly (your drink will be more icy without it).


I don't think this drink is spectacular in any way but I do find it really refreshing and it satisfies me when I'm feeling peckish in between meals. It's low in calories which is ideal for my low carb days. It's also a nice way to increase your water intake if that's something you struggle with. 

If you do decide to make your own and experiment with different flavours and ingredients, let me know :)

I hope you've enjoyed this blog post and thank you for reading :)





Walden Farm's Syrup: I order this from Muscle Food and Cardiff Sports Nutrition.
Xantham Gum: I found mine in Tesco, but you can also order it online at MyProtein.
Tea: I only buy boxes of tea when they are on offer (Tesco or Asda often have the best deals).



No comments:

Post a Comment